Our COVID-19 Response
Information for Pantry Shoppers
In order to protect shoppers, volunteers and staff we will be operating with the following changes:
- You will be greeted by a staff member or volunteer at the entrance. We will ask you a few questions at 6 feet apart. We are asking all clients to wait outside for their groceries. No waiting inside is allowed at this time and all groceries will be brought directly to clients.
- Please wait in line – 6 feet apart, and when it’s your turn, you will be brought a standard supply of nutritious groceries. There will be no “choice” shopping during the Covid-19 outbreak. We apologize for this, and will go back to “choice shopping” as soon as we can.
- We understand you may receive some food items you’re not fond of. You may give your unwanted items to a neighbor in need or return them to pantry staff.
We understand that this operation does not allow for choice of products, but to reduce the chances of virus transmission, we need to provide service as quickly and safely as possible. We will resume normal operations as soon as we can. Please know that you will receive a variety of healthy foods from each of the main categories including: dairy, meats, dry goods, and produce.
Community Members: Social Services
For emergency resource questions please contact 2-1-1, we are aware that 2-1-1 is very busy during these times, but they will be able to assist you with information on food and shelter needs.
For Volunteers and Staff
Before you volunteer, we have some basic information we’d like to share with you about the precautions we are taking at our pantries to keep everyone safe – thank you for taking the time to familiarize yourself with it:
- We are limiting the size of our volunteer teams and trying to maintain at least 6 ft of distance within the pantry at all times. As such, it’s very important that we know in advance if your plans change and you are no longer able to make a scheduled shift. Please contact us as soon as possible if you need to reschedule to allow us time to find a replacement.
- Groceries are currently being pre-bagged by volunteers and delivered to community members at the door to limit contact.
- All volunteers will wear masks during their shift per CDC recommendations for the safety of everyone. While the CDC has said that fully vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear masks, they have NOT lifted mask recommendations for food pantries and shelters. If you have any personal protective equipment at home, please bring it the day you volunteer, otherwise gear will be provided to you.
- Please remember that we work with a vulnerable population – many of our community members have not been vaccinated.
- We have a variety of volunteer opportunitiesavailable Monday – Saturday: pantry service, unloading deliveries, pre-bagging food, and rescuing produce from grocery stores. Please consider signing up for more than one opportunity, and sharing this request with friends and family!
Other Ways to Get Involved
In addition to volunteering, know there are many other ways to support the pantries:
- We have weekly pick-ups from local grocery stores where volunteers are needed! Food waste is at an all time high during this pandemic, read more about it here. If interested in helping this cause contact our Operations Manager at email@example.com.
- Consider hosting a food and supply drive– contact our Site Manager and ask us what is needed: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Did you know our pantries are purchasing more food right now? It only costs us $5 to feed 1 person for 5 days. Consider helping us with our “purchasing power” by making a donation through our website.
- For updates on our operations, make sure to follow us on Facebook and Sign-up for our Newsletter at the bottom of this page!
Friedens Pantries exists because of the support of our neighbors
With multiple food distribution programs that distribute more than 1.3 million pounds of food to our neighbors each year and wrap-around support that helps clients achieve a sense of belonging and empowerment, Friedens Pantries aims to end hunger and create a safe space for all. Make your impact today!